Ok I know, it wasn’t actually a “Smackdown”, it was really rather a timid affair. But in the last election I started with the boxing and wrestling metaphors, with this event, and now I’m stuck with them.
1. The highlight of the evening for me, was the lady sitting in front of me nodding her head profusely when Shawn Cooper, Tina Comi, Dale West even Sal Greco and George were talking at the podium. Conversely she was shaking her head from side to side when Steve Berman, Kathy Jeffery, Deb Doherty, Cam Ecclestone were at the podium. She reminded me of one of those bobble head toy dogs old people used to put on the dash of their cars. She was (how can I put this delicately, in these politically correct days) a larger lady, and she was glaring at her much smaller seat mate anytime he wasn’t being as animated as she expected him to be.
2. Deb Doherty was asked a pretty off the wall question: “What was the the biggest waste of money this past term that council had to deal with?” I heard a bunch of people in the audience snicker and laugh like the answer was all pretty obvious. Deb kind of talked around the question with bromides. I was sitting at the back like the smarty pants kid in the class with my hand up “pick me pick me”. The answer should have been: the seven hundred thousand dollars per year wasted running the rec tents. That might have shut the snickering up.
3. Someone on my last post already mentioned this, but I will also run with it: From what I hear Shawn Cooper is as vacuous as his mother. So how come when Shawn got asked a question about “communicating with constituents” he didn’t hesitate to think about his answer, like most of the other candidates. His answer rolled off his tongue like he was a pro. It was almost as if he knew what the question was before he was asked it??
4. In continuation with #3: what was all that over the top talk, similar to the Mayoral and Deputy Mayoral candidates meeting, about “the transparency of the glass jar” and “you can see the questions on these little pieces of paper in the glass jar”? Just because you point it out doesn’t make it so.
5. Bob Madigan hit it out of the park tonight he is the full package: Articulate, funny, on point, he can think on his feet. Add to that he is a local boy. You heard it here first at VFAN: Unless there is something lurking in his past one day Bob Madigan will be Mayor of Collingwood. A suggestion though Bob: Maybe a pair black brogues could be on a future shopping list? The “Miami Vice” footwear was a little too “casual Friday” for me.
6. I had all kind of adjectives ready for George Dickenson and Sal Greco tonight, on this blog : “Train Wreck, Dumpster Fire, Debacle, Disaster” I can’t use any of them, both did fine tonight good for both of you.
7. The “participation award” goes to Kathleen Knoll. (Sigh, this is what happens when you sit down and actually talk to people before you write a scathing blog post).
8. How come Bud Christiansen is always at these types of events? Bud, don’t you have someone up in Clearview Township you can go and annoy? You’re taking up a valuable seat that an actual Collingwood voter could use.
9. I walked right past Berman tonight, didn’t even recognize him, in his fancy suit, shirt and tie. I guess he’s taking this whole political thing seriously this time.
10. Chadwick and I had an awkward moment. He walked down my seat row handing out leaflets. When he got to me he realized who I was and said “I guess you won’t be wanting one of these? I said” No I already know what’s in it”. I realized that that was probably the first time I have had an actual face to face encounter with Mr. Chadwick in 15 years. I started to get all misty thinking about all those times when he locked me out of my mailbox and wouldn’t sign for my registered mail and parcels because I had violated one of his petty UPS store rules and regulations. Ah those were the days.
11. Back to Shawn and his softball question that he answered with the skill of a seasoned pro, because it looked like he had been practicing the answer all day. Regarding his answer about communication with constituents. I’ve sent Shawn about 5 emails with questions. I have visited his Campaign for Shawn Cooper Facebook page, asked him questions on his posts, not once has he responded to me. What am I Shawn chopped liver?
12. Where was Jason Booth tonight? I haven’t seen much of him since he made the cut on my last “Candid Camera” post. C’mon Jason I wasn’t “fat shaming” you with my cup cakes gag, it was just a bit of fun buddy. The lady above needed another candidate to nod her head to.
13. Finally this whole concept of the Chamber of Commerce running these things really is rather small town bush league. It is by no means impartial because by its very nature the organization is filled with people that have an active interest in the outcome of the election. Next election things need to change.