I received another comment from “Paul”. He is really thinking outside the box the following is his suggestion. I need to digest this a little bit, because to be honest I have never given it any thought:
Submitted by Paul on 2013/12/10 at 4:40 pm
First you got me thinking further into economic development.
I am fortunate to be able to live in three great communities: Toronto, Orillia and Collingwood.
Yes, I follow the local politics in each community.
Toronto got a Scarborough subway this year financed by three level of government. Orillia years ago got funding from three levels of government for their waterfronts.
Let me tell you, it’s beautiful the City of Orillia and they receive various spinoffs.
I thought… why? Natural answer is, why not us.
It the old squeaky wheel rule……If we don’t squeak there is no one out there to oil it.
Second part, if small a town squeaks will anyone listen???
So the following is another wild idea
Let’s merge: Collingwood, Wasaga Beach, Stayner, Blue Mountain and Nottawa.
The population sum approximately 50,000 plus, the magic number to become the “City of Georgian Bay”. Don’t worry, will have 5 areas call them: Collingwood, Wasaga Beach, Stayner, Blue Mountain, and Nottawa. I don t want to lose that small town feel.
Now the benefits
1) Bigger voice into provincial and federal governments
2) Smaller government, 4 town council now become one
3) We have area councilors vs. 7 top votes councilors ( I can complain to My councilor)
4) Efficiency government: one fire chief, one public works department you get the idea
5) This strange one better paid council if pay $20,000 for councilor. You get a $20,000 a counselor. Let’s pay our new council $40,000 each and our new mayor $80,000. Hey still a bargain compare to Brampton. Who wants the job?
6) Money to develop an area economic plan
Our long term economic plan >>>>to be continued