If I were running for Collingwood Town Council (I am not). The following would be the 12 planks to my election campaign:
1. Halt any more development on the waterfront between Hurontario St and Heritage Way.
2. Scrap towns existing development plan for above land, which only includes 1 restaurant on the spit and more town houses.
3. Propose to put together a team of professionals to get a plan in place to develop the above land that includes mixed apartment style residential and retail type development, that would include restaurants, coffee, shops etc. In the same vein as Blue Mountain Village.
4. Once plan is in place give the current owners of the land the first opportunity to develop this property as per new official plan in a timely manner. If unwilling expropriate the land and find a new developer.
5. Implement a feasibility study to close Hurontario St to traffic from First St to Third St.
6. Propose to allow banks and financial institutions to locate in the west commercial node and along First St. At present they are only allowed in the downtown core.
7. Put a temporary hold on any new office type commercial development in town until existing stock is at a reasonable vacancy rate.
8. Implement the existing “Active Transportation Plan”. Make Collingwood a cycling friendly jurisdiction.
9. Put a temporary hold on any new sub division developments until all existing ongoing developments are at an 80% occupancy rate. Low income rental housing would be exempt.
10. Actively look for and provide approvals for a business to build a restaurant on Heritage Way in the dock area.
11. Provide marine fueling facilities at the dock. Do whatever this takes to make happen.
12. Support a casino for Collingwood.