Tonight we had our first new council meeting. The following are 10 observations:
1. It will be a long 4 years for Bob if tonight is anything to go by. I counted 4 yawns and a head nod before it was even 6pm.
2. CAO john Brown actually has an Irish accent not Scottish. George Wills will be spinning in his grave.(he is also not called Rob) 🙂
3. Kevin Lloyd set the tone early by voting against a no brainer motion from Brian Saunderson (8 -1). It was to have some local input into the upcoming strategic plan. (Oh he is gonna be so much fun).
4. It was actually kind of nice to hang around after the council meeting tonight. Shoot the shit with some of the councillors and discuss some of the issues. I am normally running out of that place like a scalded cat. What a concept!! Open honest dialogue. Good for this town. Bad for this blog.
5. CAO John Brown did his very best impression of a State of the Union address tonight. He dealt with the towns finances. The funny thing was the numbers sounded very much like the numbers that Chris Carrier was touting during the election. SAY WHAT??? Someone was stretching the truth during an election campaign??? I have never heard of such a thing.
6. After the address to council from John Brown. My head did a quadruple take as Kevin Lloyd started to spout fiscal bromides like “I must commend the CAO for the excellent job he did with this report. It’s time to get our fiscal house in order”. WTF!!! Did I just miss something here? Did he and his cohorts not just run an election campaign based on the fact that they paid down debt and their excellent financial stewardship?
7. I said it before and I will say it again, Bob is the consummate politician. He sought me out after the meeting tonight to tell me he had a Che Guavera t-shirt for me. How the f**k did he know I have always wanted one of those things. Uncanny!!! Bob keep that for me I’m coming down to pick it up.(You still got first mention on this blog though).
8. Cam needs to talk a little further away from the microphone. Just Sayin!!
9. We all figured the meeting tonight would go on until around 7.30 to 8pm. It was finished by 6.45pm. Done and dusted for Christmas. I guess when you don’t have Chadwick making clever quotes every 5 minutes in Latin and Hurricane Sandy mumbling incoherent nonsense about every motion, it’s fairly easy to get things moved along.
10. I must say Sandra did a pretty good job tonight. This might work out after all. She kept her mouth shut when she needed to and kept the proceedings moving along with very little obstruction. Keep it up Sandra I will always give credit where credit is due. She does need to be a little more magnanimous though. Before the council meeting she came into the viewers gallery to do some meet and greet. When she got close to Berman and I, she ran away so fast, it was like she was being chased by the “Zombie Apocalypse”.
I was very impressed by this councils first meeting. And this “Asshole” does not impress easily.