Ok back to the bread and butter of this blog. I attended tonight’s council meeting here are my 10 observations and comments:
1. Holy crap!!! Sandra actually excused herself tonight from the airport proposal. Because of conflict with her brother Paul Bonwick (he looked very statesmanlike tonight).
2. The airport proposal is a good one. It is an $80 million investment into our area and will create 400 new jobs. I don’t give a crap if the mayors brother is involved in it. I will be supporting this project all the way. Watch for an in depth post on this proposal in the near future. Council voted to receive the report 9 – 0.
3. I was shocked that only Kevin Lloyd had any questions about this airport business park proposal. I have about half a dozen. My arm was twitching when Sandra asked if their were any questions.
4. I never knew what phragmites were until tonight. FYI it’s that ugly tall weed that seems to be taking over the shore line locally. Seems like some efforts are being made to do something about it. Council voted 9 – 0 to help control this weed.
5. Shawn Cooper was in attendance again tonight he is now at every council meeting (he was not last council term). As I said before he will be running for council is 2018.
6. This is the third council meeting in a row that Bob has not made any constructive comment about anything brought before it. He is the only councillor. So it was rather weird when he suddenly voted against the lobbyist registry mentioned below.
7. Scoop was in attendance. Does this mean he will be doing his live blog again?? Come back Scoop you know you want to. Everyone misses that live blog.
8. That’s depressing; Town of Collingwood wants to hold the 2017 over 55 “SENIOR” winter and summer games. I guess I am now officially a senior.
9. Deb Doherty brought the motion back to the table to accept the integrity commissioners report on Rick Lloyd. Motion to receive the report carried. Recorded 7 – 2 Lloyd and Cooper against – big surprise!!! Mike Edwards said he was “Disappointed that this motion was being brought to the table again”, but supported it anyway.
10. Brian Saunderson finally introduced his motions covering the following:
a) Procurement Policy, including a review of sole sourcing. Passed 8 – 1 Angry man voted against.
b) Implementation of a Lobbyist Registry. Passed 7 – 2 Angry man and Bob Madigan voted against. I asked Bob after the meeting why he voted against that particular motion and he said and I quote “I could not support that because if I bumped into someone in Loblaw’s and they wanted to ask me about something I would have to register them as a lobbyist” I suggest that Bob does not understand what a lobbyist registry is, because that is not how it would be interpreted or implemented. I also warned him the optics of aligning himself with Lloyd on this one issue are not good. He basically said “optics schmoptics” or words to that effect.
c) Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest local guidelines. Passed 9 – 0.
d) Advise Council as to any other policies, procedures or initiatives to enhance and improve transparency and accountability in municipal governance. Passed 9 – 0.