1. I thought I had walked into the wrong council meeting tonight. Absolutely packed just managed to squeak myself a seat. Standing room only.
2. On a personal note; Mike Edwards announced that he MC-ed a local school kids public speaking event at the Legion Sunday afternoon. He did a spectacular job. My daughter picked up a second place prize. Good job Leigh, and the rest of the kids that took part.
3. Now it all makes sense a public meeting for a planning application. That’s why all these people are here. Land out on highway 26 west side of town, that used to be a motel. I wish there was this much engagement for lesser local issues, like towns finances for instance, but these people bailed when that was discussed.
4. Bob Madigan was absent. Mind you he actually said as much tonight as he has said since he was elected 🙂
5. Address of development application is 11476 highway 26 west. I like it, high density 192 units. With commercial aspect on highway 26 which I think there are far too few in this town.
6. Local Lighthouse people who live adjacent to the property are concerned with the higher density of this new proposed development. Worried about site drainage (like the town will just allow developer to dump storm water in their basements). They also suggested that the potential buyers should be senior citizens and not young “party animals”. As if the developer has any control over this. One thing that they seem to forget is the fact that this property is zoned hotel/motel mixed commercial use. In fact it had a scabby motel on it for years replete with yeah you guessed it “party animals”. A developer could actually come in and build a hotel with the existing zoning. The complaints I heard tonight seem like a bit of nimbyism to me. Lots of Ohs and Ahs when they heard that the 1 bedrooms were going to be 585 sq ft and the 2 bedroom 800 sq ft. Hallo!!! That is the normal size of apartments people.
7. One lady who is a neighbour of this property across highway 26. I remember her from the Pretty River Academy development application. Sandra knew her by name. Does not want commercial aspect of this development, says it’s a “non-starter”. Worried about drainage from her property which apparently runs through the development property. Good luck with this person you developers. I’m not sure why they would want to go through this type of aggravation. The only thing that would please any of this lot is a nature reserve on the property.
8. Hume St reconstruction update. Tender going out 15th February. Construction to start mid April. Cancelled 2 sets of traffic lights. One at Raglan st, and the one at St Marie. Finally someone listened to Nobody 🙂 Nothing will happen at Hume and Hurontario until Admiral Collingwood Place is completed. So be prepared for that intersection to continue to look like downtown Detroit for years to come.
9. Talk tonight about strategic financial plan. First steps to getting the towns finances in order. Seems like 7% is the big number. Debt cannot exceed that amount in relation to tax supported services and levies.
10. Angry man seemed a little calmer tonight and didn’t say anything stupid.
11. Council went in camera, one of the items to be discussed was the airport proposal. I wonder if Sandra excused herself through conflict again when she was behind closed doors. Someone anonymously let me know please.
12. Seems like council approved the new cell for the OPP detachment. For one or two and their friends, it must have been like a turkey voting for itself to be Christmas dinner guest of honour 😉