I realize it’s a little premature only six months into her 2nd term as Mayor, but I was thinking the other day about legacy and what will Sandra Cooper’s legacy be to the town of Collingwood after two terms in office. I am hearing from a bunch of sources that she will not run for a third term in 2018.
I think to have this conversation you have to have something to compare our current Mayor with. So let’s take a look at the previous two Mayors starting with:
He was Mayor of Collingwood when I arrived in town in 2000. At that time Collingwood was still suffering from the hangover of the shipyard closing and was trying to define itself. It was the beginning of the end of factories and car part manufacturing in the area.
The much maligned Terry Geddes was very much instrumental in dragging Collingwood up by its boot straps in this transitional period to the place we live today. I would say that is his legacy, because there were very few major construction projects of a municipal nature in this time frame.
From day one of Carrier’s tenure as Mayor of Collingwood the knives were out. I considered myself quite informed at the time but much of what I was “informed” about was actually quite wrong. Chris’s legacy to the town is actually quite long and accomplished. I will write it down in numbered form and you can judge for yourself:
1. Permanent Georgian Campus on Raglan and Poplar Ride road.
2. Library building
3. Downtown revitalization. Downtown was a complete dump when Chris took over as mayor he was very much instrumental in making our downtown the aesthetically pleasant experience it is today.
4. First St revitalization. Again first st was awful back in the early oughties . Dumpy fast food restaurants and gas stations abandoned shuttered buildings cracked broken side walks.
5. Our local bus service was established including drafting an inter-municipal public transit agreement between Wasaga Beach and Collingwood.
6. Established a 150 acre business park through a strategic private developer and $1,500,000 from Federal government to extend municipal services to the park.
OK before we start lets get the obvious out of the way, she is only 6 months into her second term. I watch this stuff carefully and I do not see anything coming down the pipeline that in any way shape or form is going to be big enough to define Sandra Copper as far as a legacy in her second term. But let’s try anyway:
1. Enabled council to push forward with the new fire-hall. I never agreed with it but people whom I respect tell me it was necessary and justified.
2. After years of wrangling Hume Street is finally getting the refurbishment it requires. I suggest if this were being completed on either of previous two Mayors watch, this project would have been completed already, and another level of government would have been kicking in a good portion of the money to get it done.
3. A fractured recreation stable of facilities. The two tents are by no means a permanent answer to this towns long term recreational needs. It will come to pass, that what we have in place now are expensive to run, will look like crap in ten years time and in twenty years time, when the council of 2032 decides to fix that mess, Sandra will be wearing it like a 200 lb bridesmaid in a size 6 dress.
4. Waterfront. This is the pièce de résistance of Sandra’s legacy. The sad part about it is she knows no better, she’s probably walked down to the water front and thinks it is quite acceptable to have a bank and pharmacy’s parking lot butt right onto our waterfront. This cannot be fixed and our kids and grand-kids will be cursing the name Sandra Cooper for many years to come.
5. Admiral Collingwood Place. She gave her pal Steve Assaff every tool in the toolbox to get this project started and finished. Her and her voting block even refunded him his development fees. She promised when running for her first term that this project would be completed. Here we are 5 years later………Nothing.
6. Sold off half of Collus to the second highest bidder. This utility was a money maker and was sold to make the towns financial situation look less bleak come election time. She doubled down on this by lying about the towns financial situation during the election campaign.
7. She did get the patio debacle sorted out…… I’m sure Duncan’s is very appreciative.
C’mon people let’s be serious. Sandra Cooper is a complete lightweight. She has no vision, is as dumb as a post and if her brother were not who he is, would still be trying to find out what the scanning code for Cilantro is at Loblaw’s.